Special thanks to Walmart+ for sponsoring this post.
Are you running out to a holiday gathering and looking for a quick and easy appetizer to take along? Don’t show up empty handed and make this caprese wreath using fresh ingredients for your next event! This caprese wreath appetizer is simple, using fresh basil, mozzarella, tomatoes, and it is topped with a balsamic glaze with quality herbs. You can be creative and make a number of holiday themed plates with this recipe, like a candy-cane, Christmas tree, or ornament. The same ingredients can be added to skewers and layered on a plate as well. Keep reading to discover the many ways you can make a holiday themed appetizer in a pinch and how to simplify ordering for all of your holiday moments, all season long.
As a mom of three, I struggle to remember the typical items on our grocery list. Add in the holidays and I’m guaranteed to forget the extra items needed for parties and more. Our holiday calendar is packed and I like to keep a few extra ingredients on hand in the event something unexpected arises. I love hosting and putting together fun appetizers when we have guests, but I do not have a lot of extra time on my hands. Fortunately, I have a great solution for busy families with the help of the Walmart+ membership to order high quality, fresh, and organic groceries to cook for friends and family.
What is Caprese?
Caprese is an Italian salad made with tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil. Insalata Caprese means the salad of Capri , an Italian island. It is often seasoned with a drizzle of olive oil and in this case, balsamic glaze. It can be served in a variety of ways, whether it’s served as an appetizer, lunch, or a light dinner. You can also serve it as a side salad to enjoy with dinner. This classic salad takes me back to our days spent traveling along the Italian coast, eating all of our favorites along the way. We were babies then and now we have our own babies that we can share these amazing dishes with at the dinner table.
Red & Green Appetizer
So how did I pull off a last minute appetizer in the midst of our busy calendar? I came up with a simple and colorful design inspired by traditional Christmas colors, red and green. When selecting food to create the caprese wreath, I searched for green and red edible items, like basil and tomatoes. I aim to eat healthy and I attempt to make healthy foods fun for our family. Do you have picky toddlers in the home? Create a fun holiday themed appetizer for them to enjoy! It’s a win, win for moms!
Other Caprese Ideas
You are not limited to a caprese wreath with these fresh ingredients. You can create several shapes like a caprese tree, ornament, and candy cane. Another idea, you can make a caprese salad using these ingredients on top of a mixed green salad like arugula, spinach, and more. I love salads with small mozzarella balls and cherry tomatoes. Then you can top the salad with a balsamic glaze or dressing for the same fresh taste!
I don’t even have to step foot in the grocery store thanks to my Walmart+ membership. It took less than 10 minutes and a few clicks on my phone in the Walmart app to process my order. Then groceries were picked and delivered straight to my door, for unlimited FREE delivery as soon as same day ($35 minimum. Restrictions apply). It’s one thing that is easily checked off my to-do list.
I also ordered several essentials for our household, like fresh produce, milk, eggs, and meat. I was able to ensure that we had a healthy selection for dinner and the kids were able to eat quality snacks. The kids also love the blueberry and strawberry muffins from the bakery. I love that the groceries are picked from our local store right before pickup or delivery, guaranteeing a fresh selection. I also added pantry staples like paper towels and garbage bags to help with our current mess.
Ordering groceries has never been this easy! With the Walmart+ membership, you get fresh, high-quality groceries with unlimited free delivery as soon as same-day from your store on orders $35+ (restrictions apply, availability dependent on location). You also receive free shipping on Walmart.com with no order minimum required, excludes most Marketplace items, location & freight surcharges. Members also get member prices on fuel.
This beautiful set is great for every day use and impressing your guests!
This matte gold set is made from stainless steel with a sophisticated look!
The perfect bowl for serving appetizers and snacks for your guests!
How to Make a Caprese Wreath
When selecting ingredients, select tomatoes that are medium in size and vine-ripened. I like to mix in heirloom tomatoes when they’re in season. Keep in mind that the amount of ingredients you will need is dependent on the size of your platter. For this recipe, I used a single dinner plate. Our household prefers balsamic glaze in exchange for olive oil. Add seasonings to taste, start with a light sprinkle and then add more as necessary!
Steps for Making Caprese Wreath
- Add one layer of basil leaves to the outer ring of a plate, in pairs. Add them in single rows creating a bed of greens so the tomatoes and mozzarella will have something to sit on, with the edge of the leaves peeking out.
- Alternate one tomato slice with one mozzarella slice on top of basil leaves. It’s helpful to start with the tomato slice, adding a mozzarella slice, then continuing the pattern in layers. This is a similar pattern to dominos.
- Spread cherry tomatoes evenly on plate. These are edible extras that give extra depth and interest to the design of the wreath.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze. You can be creative and make a design or simply drizzle in a zig-zag pattern.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning using your fingers to sprinkle the seasoning over the entire plate.
- Season with garlic salt to taste, this step is optional depending on your preferences. Our family loves garlic and salt, and we prefer to use a grinder for this step.
- Garnish with rosemary twigs because they’re beautiful and they add a lovely scent to the dish.
If you would like to try out the Walmart+ membership, click here and enter your information to discover the benefits available in your location. You can try it free for 15 days, then pay monthly or annually depending on what works best for you!
- 2 ripe tomatoes in 1/4 inch slices
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- 1 pound sliced mozzarella in 1/4 inch slices
- 30 basil leaves
- Balsamic glaze for drizzle
- 1 tsp. Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp. garlic salt in grinder
- 3-4 rosemary sprigs
- Add one layer of basil leaves to outer ring of plate.
- Alternate one tomato slice with one mozzarella slice on top of basil leaves.
- Spread cherry tomatoes evenly on plate.
- Drizzle balsamic glaze.
- Sprinkle Italian seasoning.
- Season with garlic salt to taste.
- Garnish with rosemary twigs.
This caprese wreath method can be used to make several holiday shapes like candy canes and christmas trees. Note that balsamic drizzle and seasonings are to taste.