The final week of the One Room Challenge has come to an end and while I want to say we are absolutely finished, we are not quiet there yet. I am going to call this part one of our multi-purpose room reveal because we did not have it in our budget to replace the columns, frame the walls, and put french doors in place. I will keep you all updated when we decide to seal in the room, but let’s get this reveal party started!
Links to all items used in this room will appear at the bottom of this post.
Looking back to when we purchased this home, here is the original view of the room.
This is the big after!!
This room started out as a playroom and quickly turned into a “multi-purpose” room. We found ourselves gravitating to this room while the kids played. Also, when we decided to postpone the doors, we needed to make the room organized and inviting. This is the first room you see when you walk into our foyer, so I wanted a large piece of furniture to store our toys. We also have a large closet down the hall for the rest of the toys.
I also had to get creative to stay within our budget. I propagated the philodendron on the left and took clippings from our live oaks for greenery in the vases.
I used the Ikea Duktig kitchen and gave it a makeover. Using peel and stick subway tile, I created a backsplash. I updated the countertops using contact paper. I painted the rest of the kitchen white. Finally, I spray painted the hardware with a brass finish.
I had hopes of creating a pretend restaurant complete with an awning. We ran out of space for that, but I have ideas of completing the look with framing in a house or a small roof. Stay tuned for that! We are also waiting on our children’s aprons to arrive and hopefully complete the look!
Finally, I used the Bekvam spice racks to creating a small garden section. I used “Early American” by Miniwax to stain them to match our chalkboard. We are currently making a Thanksgiving list this month, but I plan on making this a cute little menu for the kids.
Working with a tight budget, I gravitated towards Ikea for a lot of this project. I used the Ektorp sofa in Lofallet beige and it does not disappoint. It has a linen appearance and I love that the slipcovers can easily be removed and washed. This was key for a high traffic playroom area. It is also quiet comfy and we have received several compliments.
I pulled the pillows from our bedroom because I honestly have no idea what pillows I would like to put in this room. It takes me a long time to settle on pillows! I do love the leather pillows that I purchased from Amazon!
Make sure you look back through the weeks leading up to this room reveal for all of the details that went into planning our One Room Challenge. I honestly believe this reveal is just a starting point and I will make changes along the way. Keep up to date by following my Instagram!
I’m going to sit here and enjoy a nice cup of tea while watching Hallmark movies and gear up for the change in seasons soon. Thanks for following along!
Shopping links to items used in this room:
- Walls – Sherwin Williams Extra White in Flat
- Play Kitchen – Rustoleum Chalk Paint in Linen White
- Hardware – Valspar Metallic Gold
Stain for shelves – Miniwax Early American
Play Kitchen DIY Items