We’re currently putting the final touches on our bathroom renovation and it has been a long, but fun, process. Anyone who has done a renovation, remodel, or even decorated a new home knows that every room requires a lot of thought and work. There are so many different choices that it can often become overwhelming. Luckily, I’m here to break it down for you and share what I predict to be the 7 top bathroom trends in 2022!
This post contains affiliate links, please read our disclosures.
Bathroom Trends for 2022
Throughout the remodel process I came up with a list of the 7 top bathroom trends for 2022. I’m using the word “trend” lightly, as I feel like most of these bathroom designs and items are classics that won’t be going out of style anytime soon. From spa features and wet rooms to jewel tones and smart technology, today I’m breaking down my favorite bathroom trends of 2022 and sharing how you can incorporate them in a coastal, classic, or modern bathroom.
7 Predicted Bathroom Trends for 2022
- Spa Bathrooms
- Vintage-Inspired Pieces in Bathrooms
- Wet Room Bathrooms
- Bathroom Tile Trends
- Bathroom Color Trends
- Organic Inspiration in Bathrooms
- Smart Bathroom Technology Trends
1. Spa Bathrooms
Let’s face it, with many of us currently spending more time at home and also facing more stressors than ever before, we could all use a spa day. For this exact reason, I foresee spa bathrooms as one of the biggest bathroom trends of 2022. There are many luxurious ways to add spa-like features to your bathroom for ultimate comfort.
- Steam Showers: When I think of a spa, I instantly think of a steam room. You can now install steam showers into your home that deliver clouds of steam before, during, or after your shower – talk about relaxation!
- Towel Heaters in Bathrooms: One of my favorite parts of a day at the spa is being wrapped up in warm, fresh towels, it’s the epitome of luxury. We had towel heaters in our apartment in the UK and they were truly wonderful!
- Floor Heaters in Bathrooms: Similar to towel heaters, floor heaters in bathrooms bring so much grandeur to a space. With heated towels and heated floors you can save on water since you won’t stall getting out of the shower due to the cold, right? Seems logical to me!
- Spa-Like Bathroom Decor: You don’t have to go all out and spend your life’s earnings to create a spa-like environment in your bathroom. This bathroom trend is also feasible with smaller changes such as aromatherapy candles, soft fluffy towels, matching white dispensers for all of your bath and shower products, or even a simple bath caddy.
2. Vintage-Inspired Pieces in Bathrooms
Vintage bathrooms have romantic, elegant vibes and bring me so much nostalgia. From wallpaper to clawfoot tubs, vintage pieces are making a comeback in 2022 bathroom trends.
- Bathroom Wallpaper: A coastal or floral wallpaper instantly adds a vintage touch to a bathroom. If you’re not wanting to go all out with wallpaper, you could do picture frame molding or shiplap on the bottom half of the wall and wallpaper on top.
- Clawfoot Tub: Clawfoot tubs were the mark of elegance in the early 19th century and they have recently made a comeback in bathroom trends. They allow more freedom for placement locations in a bathroom and are the ultimate luxury for those who enjoy baths rather than showers.
- Vintage Bathroom Hardware & Decor: There are many smaller bathroom items that also provide a vintage touch. Vintage-inspired mirrors, sinks, light fixtures, toilet paper holders, and antique brass decor all belong in the 2022 bathroom trends.
3. Wet Room Bathrooms
Wet rooms are stunning, luxurious, and one of the biggest bathroom trends I’ve seen recently. Wet room bathrooms are completely open spaces with the tub, shower, sink, and toilet all in the same room at the same level. There isn’t a stand-in tray on the floor of the shower to stop the water flow, but there might be a glass divider. Wet rooms provide an elevated spa-like presence to a space and can open up small bathrooms or ones with a strange layout. There are some important things to consider when creating a wet room including ensuring the space is completely waterproof, toilet size and location, and underfloor heating to keep the room dry. This bathroom trend isn’t a cheap project, but it sure is a beautiful one!
4. Bathroom Tile Trends
Bathrooms and tile go together like peanut butter and jelly. Tile is moisture-friendly and adds beauty to the space. The 2022 bathroom tile trends are classic styles with some added fun!
- Zellige Bathroom Tile: Zellige tile is the perfect combination of old and new, timeless and on-trend, which is why we decided to use it in our bathroom remodel. Zellige is a type of Moroccan tile that is hand-cut and handmade. This bathroom tile is beautifully crafted with imperfect edges that give it a stunning texture.
- Textured Bathroom Tile: I’ve seen many examples of beautiful bathrooms with textured tile in 2022. Textured tile can add depth and also significant visual interest to a room. These tiles can be placed inside of a shower, on the wall behind a sink, or surrounding a bathtub.
- Patterned Bathroom Tile: I’m loving the comeback of patterned bathroom tile. This trend was popular in the 1960s, but its reemergence has introduced modern and coastal patterned tiles that are truly charming.
- Mosaic Bathroom Tile: Mosaic bathroom tile is basically always on-trend. Ceramic or glass, neutrals or colors, small or large patterns, these timeless bathroom tiles are some of my favorites.
5. Bathroom Color Trends
The main bathroom color trends I’m seeing in 2022 are jewel tones, earth tones, and neutrals with pops of sage green and coastal blue.
- Jewel Tones in Bathrooms: I’ve seen an increase in bold jewel tones in bathrooms – emerald green, sapphire blue, dark purples, etc. If paired strategically, such as an emerald green tiled wall behind a natural wood vanity with pops of antique brass, these colors can be made classic and tasteful.
- Earth Tones in Bathrooms: I’m loving the 2022 bathroom trend of earth tones to warm up a space. Colors such as terracotta or green leaf pair nicely with natural wood vanities and warm white paints and tiles.
- Coastal Blue and Sage Green Bathrooms: The soothing shades of coastal blue and sage green continue to be popular bathroom colors in 2022. An all white, cream, or ivory bathroom with pops of these colors, such as a coastal blue tub, is a beautiful, timeless combination.
6. Organic Inspiration in Bathrooms
One of the biggest 2022 bathroom trends is adding organic items and decor to the space. When I think of organic inspiration for bathrooms, I picture a simple, modern and minimalist space that is very calming and relaxing. You can achieve this by using a neutral color scheme in the bathroom and combining it with natural wood vanities or cabinets to add warmth. Then, bring small pops of color to the space with plants and greenery. Complete your organic-inspired bathroom with essential oil candles and fluffy organic towels.
7. Smart Bathroom Technology Trends
New technology will always be on-trend, as we all love products that make our lives a little easier. I’m seeing a lot of neat and new bathroom technology items for 2022 that will most likely leave you wanting to do a little remodel of your space!
- Smart Showers: With a smart shower you can set the ideal water flow rate and temperature, keep this temperature steady, and also save water and energy!
- Smart Bathroom Mirrors: Did you know there are now smart bathroom mirrors that allow you to watch TV, view apps, check weather, and more? You can relax in the tub while watching tv and then turn the device into a mirror when you’re finished!
- Bluetooth in Bathrooms: Not only can you add bluetooth speakers in your bathroom, but there are also bluetooth shower heads available. Let the shower singing commence!
Latest Bathroom Trends
Being the timeless and coastal-loving gal that I am, I’m happy to see that most of the 2022 bathroom trends also happen to be classic and elegant. My preference is always to stick with the classics, but mix in a few trends. This method prevents a space from being overwhelmed with trends, which often leads to you wanting to remodel in a few years. I always advise that you focus on your personal style and if you’d like to be on-trend then you can subtly add bathroom trends that correspond with your style, rather than take it over.
What are your favorite 2022 bathroom trends? Is there one from this list that you’d like to incorporate into your home? Are there other bathroom trends that you think will be big in 2022? I’d love to hear your thoughts in a comment below!